Better Bibles Blog has moved. Read our last post, below, and then
click here if you are not redirected to our new location within 60 seconds.
Please Bookmark our new location and update blogrolls.

Saturday, October 22, 2005

Target audience: The Bible for Dummies

On this blog we emphasize how important it is that those who produce a Bible translation have their target audience clearly in mind. Who your specific target audience is determines to a large extent how your translation will be worded, what level of vocabulary will be used, how much obsolete older English can be used in the translation, etc.

Pastor Shaun has just blogged about the book, The Bible for Dummies. Pastor Shuan makes an important theological point about the target audience of the Bible being "dummies."

I'm sure that Pastor Shuan would not advocate "dumbing down" the Bible, just as I do not. But his points are well taken, as he states them.

Categories: ,

2 Comments:

At Sat Oct 22, 11:55:00 AM, Blogger Joe said...

I'm not sure where I've been, but this is the first I have herd of this book! I think it has the potential of being a very interesting treatment. I hope we don't replace "regular" translations with it. Rather I hope we see it as another tool to reach people.

 
At Sat Oct 22, 09:17:00 PM, Blogger Wayne Leman said...

Hello, Joe. The Bible for Dummies is not a dumbed down translation of the Bible. Instead, it is a book with facts about the Bible for people who don't know much about the Bible.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home