Better Bibles Blog has moved. Read our last post, below, and then
click here if you are not redirected to our new location within 60 seconds.
Please Bookmark our new location and update blogrolls.

Saturday, November 03, 2007

Hen Scratches 03-11-07

I have found some real treasures in the last day or two.

1. Here is a site which I have not seen before which features 100 Bible versions online. Although I have seen most of these Bibles before, there are a few notable mentions. One is the translation of our very own Dan Sindlinger. There are also numerous literal, analytical and concordant translations and my favourite, the Non-ecclesiastical Bible.

However, the great new find for me was Calvin's Bible, 1560. This is not exactly Calvin's own Bible, since English was not his language. This is the English translation of Calvin's French Bible, the Olivétan version, a Bible I am looking forward to reading more of some day, as it is one of the four Bibles named by Coverdale as his source texts.

I found one of life's little ironies in Calvin's Bible. This is the first Bible, as far as I know, which translated 1 Tim. 2:12 with "assume authority" - the phrase Grudem calls "highly suspect and novel" in the TNIV. Beza introduced "usurp authority" into his Latin translation (first published 1556) and as they say the rest is history.

2. Here is a fascinating essay (part one, part two) on power and authority in translation with an intriguing paragraph near the end of the post on how Jesus "lost his virtue."

3. The really exciting find has been rare books at Dallas Theological Seminary now online here. I was inspired by A Collation of the Hebrew and Greek texts of the Psalms, 1800, which also discusses the Pagnini and Montanus Latin translations in some depth.

I also found among these books a wicked modern paraphrase, although possibly useful, The whole booke of Job, paraphrased, or made easie for any to understand, George Abbot, 1640; and finally, An essay for a new translation of the Bible. Le Cène, 1727.

3 Comments:

At Sat Nov 03, 09:08:00 AM, Blogger Bob MacDonald said...

The 100 online shows us a bit of web technology to come - a standard java run time skin. But it has precious little functionality - no possibility of search by year or by author just for starters - and it violates a basic principle of design - the 7 +/- 2 rule of complexity management.

 
At Sat Nov 03, 09:18:00 AM, Blogger Bob MacDonald said...

wow! - I just got to the collation of the Hebrew and Septuagint - now this is a technological marvel as well as an insight into 200 year old printing techniques. One could bury oneself in this for a while!

 
At Sat Nov 03, 11:18:00 AM, Blogger Suzanne McCarthy said...

I admit that the first site is no fun as software, but it indexes some versions that I have not seen elsewhere. I don't judge everything by its software functionality. It is funny though how often now, when I am reading a dead tree book, that I wish I had a search function for it. I think of how precious little functionality a book actually has. But I haven't said to myself that I will not read any book that is not in electronic form. Not yet.

What I love about old books is how freely Latin, Greek and Hebrew fonts were interspersed. I have seen one Pslams commentary which spelled Israel like this. Iשraeאl, mixing the scripts within a word.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home