Better Bibles Blog has moved. Read our last post, below, and then
click here if you are not redirected to our new location within 60 seconds.
Please Bookmark our new location and update blogrolls.

Saturday, July 02, 2005

John 1:1-2

Cub at Cub's Corner blog recently wrestled with the translation of John 1:1-2. I, personally, disagree with Cub giving the only meaning of the original Greek of 1:1c as 'the word was a god' but it is true that this is one exegetical option which has been recognized in debates over John 1:1. Cub does, however, go on to quote the ESV and mention that there can be other translation possibilities, based on church teaching (and I would say, also on different exegesis of the original Greek). Cub has started an intensive course in New Testament Greek, so perhaps he will learn about other exegetical options for anarthrous theos in John 1:1c. We wish him well in his studies.

Cagegories: , ,

1 Comments:

At Sun Jul 03, 12:31:00 AM, Blogger cub said...

Hi Wayne, and thanks for your (gracious) feedback on my post.

I hope that over the next few weeks my exegetical/translation skills will improve. Having said that, the aim of that particular post was perhaps more to explore the role of tradition in interpretation, than translation/exegesis philosophy.

Nevertheless, I am grateful for your feedback. Plus, now I have found a blog where I can look up all kinds of translation tidbits. :-)

Again, thanks.
Shalom.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home