Better Bibles Blog has moved. Read our last post, below, and then
click here if you are not redirected to our new location within 60 seconds.
Please Bookmark our new location and update blogrolls.

Thursday, November 17, 2005

Announcing a perfectly accurate Bible translation

And all interpretation is left to the reader.

I think I'll publish a new translation of the New Testament. I'll include here a representative text from John 3:16 and I ask for any feedback you all might like to contribute.

The goal of the translation is to be perfectly accurate--no interpreting of the original text will make it into the translation! Guaranteed.

I hope you'll agree this is a worthy goal and that my translation accomplishes this perfectly. Thanks for your support.

Here's the text:

hOUTWS GAR HGAPHSEN hO QEOS TON KOSMON, hWSTE TON hUION TON MONOGENH EDWKEN, hINA PAS hO PISTEUWN EIS AUTON MH APOLHTAI ALL' ECHi ZWHN AIWNION.

I admit that English readers will have to learn new words; but, this objection is overwhelmingly answered by the accuracy, and the fact that interpretation is left totally up to the reader. Besides, at most, only about 5000 new words will need to be learned.

I'm calling it The Neologism Inspired Version.

Stay tuned since research will immediately commence on how to create a dictionary so that the reader will accurately learn the meanings of all the neologisms. We're excited about this project since it enables us to honestly market an interpretation-free translation (we've put all the interpretation into the dictionary.) We believe this additional project will be quite difficult and therefore require extensive funding. So, please contact me regarding where to send your checks or money orders.

Order now, and get your free sushi knife.

6 Comments:

At Thu Nov 17, 05:11:00 PM, Blogger Ben Myers said...

An excellent post!

 
At Thu Nov 17, 08:23:00 PM, Blogger Suzanne McCarthy said...

Hi Mike,

I have have critiqued your new translation here.
http://abecedaria.blogspot.com/2005/11/qness-or-tradition-of-q.html

 
At Fri Nov 18, 03:20:00 AM, Blogger Joe said...

I have not critiqued your new translation, but I would like to order three copies.

One I will read.

One I will place on the dashboard of my car to prevent accidents.

The third I will place on my coffee table (as soon as I get one) so all of my friends will know I use the correct translation.

 
At Fri Nov 18, 06:23:00 AM, Blogger J. Mark Bertrand said...

This is a great idea, but I hope you'll put some dollars into quality design and binding. I'd like to see the Neologism Inspired Version available in a single-column text setting with a wide margin, sewn spine and goatskin binding.

 
At Fri Nov 18, 03:58:00 PM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Exactly what I've been looking for -- it'll solve my transliteration problems, especially if it comes out on CD.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At Sat Nov 19, 07:23:00 AM, Blogger Ted M. Gossard said...

This is as literal as you can get! Plus natural too! This will satisfy everyone on both sides.

The next step is to get all Christians (and this will need to start with a few; but you know, "it only takes a spark to get a fire going") to learn both koine Greek and Biblical Hebrew, along with a some Aramaic for good measure. And the goal would be to get them to speak it in their everyday language. And then part of our gospel will involve helping the entire world ultimately to so speak. This won't be easy, but the exercise will make us sharper. That way everyone will have the true Scripture (maybe we'll have to put in LXX Greek too for those who think the LXX may have come from long lost Hebrew manuscripts closer to the original writings; what do you think?).

Thankfully I'm heading in the "too old" category to do much good in this (I speak in the weakness of my humanity), but will try to do what I can.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home