Better Bibles Blog has moved. Read our last post, below, and then
click here if you are not redirected to our new location within 60 seconds.
Please Bookmark our new location and update blogrolls.

Thursday, February 16, 2006

Comparing the NLT with the NIV and TNIV

Mark Taylor, chief editor of the New Living Translation, responded recently by email to someone's request for more information about the NLT. He copied me on the correspondence and included a chart comparing some passages in the NLT with the same passages in the NIV and TNIV. He says it should be no surprise that he favors the NLT wording in these passages. If you would like to read his chart, click here. It's OK with Mark for his chart to be posted and shared.

Categories: , , ,

2 Comments:

At Fri Feb 17, 03:57:00 AM, Blogger Ted M. Gossard said...

As much as I like, for example, the NLT's rendering of Romans 6:1 with reference to "charis" I believe it is, in the original- the good liberty (I call it) that the NLT takes with the word rendered "grace", while a great take on that word, is nevertheless still a take on that word's meaning.

So for scholars especially, this sort of Bible is doing work for them that they will do for themselves. And importing into this word, words and concepts already clearly given and dealt with in other places in the NT text.

So a scholar along with many/most pastors will want a Bible translation that attempts to strike a balance between a good, clear rendering AND less interpretation of such key words, at least.

Just my take at the moment. I certainly could be amiss here. But the NLT, while I think it to be a great reading Bible, is not my own preference for more or less the reason above. However I'll consider this more. Thanks.

 
At Fri Feb 17, 04:00:00 AM, Blogger Ted M. Gossard said...

One other thing. Remember that the Living Bible was a phenomena in sales when it was released in the 60's (I believe that was the decade). The sales of the NLT hardly make it a lock to becoming a strong possibility as the standard Bible used in a significant number of churches, I think.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home