Better Bibles Blog has moved. Read our last post, below, and then
click here if you are not redirected to our new location within 60 seconds.
Please Bookmark our new location and update blogrolls.

Saturday, March 11, 2006

Panting heart (Psalm 38:10)

In the KJV Psalm 38:10 begins "my heart panteth." All other English versions I checked use more natural, understandable English:
My heart throbs (RSV, NRSV, ESV, NASB, REB)
My heart pounds (NIV, TNIV, NCV)
My heart is pounding (TEV, GW)
My heart beats quickly (NET)
My heart races (HCSB)
My heart is beating fast (CEV)
My heart beats wildly (NLT)

3 Comments:

At Sat Mar 11, 04:08:00 PM, Blogger Peter Kirk said...

This is a very good reason for changing the obsolete "hart" in Psalm 42:1 to the more modern "deer", as in most modern translations.

The particular verb form in Psalm 38:10 (38:11 Hebrew) is used only here. It is a derived stem from a well known verb meaning "go around, travel". But since its meaning is not otherwise known, it must be understood largely from the context. That certainly supports "throbs" or "beats quickly". I don't know where "panteth" comes from - an ancient translation maybe? There is nothing in the Hebrew to justify this strange image.

 
At Sat Mar 11, 09:05:00 PM, Blogger R. Mansfield said...

Out of curiosity, since I didn't see it listed, I looked up the verse in the NKJV.

What do you know: "My heart pants..."

 
At Mon Mar 13, 06:40:00 AM, Blogger Talmida said...

The JPS at Mechon-Mamre has "My heart fluttereth."

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home