Better Bibles Blog has moved. Read our last post, below, and then
click here if you are not redirected to our new location within 60 seconds.
Please Bookmark our new location and update blogrolls.

Friday, August 18, 2006

Cows, Dogs, Men and Political Correctness

Adrian Warnock has started a series of posts on Cows, Dogs and Political Correctness. This is his response to several postings on this blog, such as my Cows, Dogs and Men and the follow-up Calling all humans! Adrian makes a good point in this series opener. But I am not sure who he is referring to, certainly not me as I make clear in my comment, when he writes that it is
a matter of faith among some people over there that the Greek word άνθρωπος (anthropos) never ever means "man" in the sense of males, but instead exclusively and only "people" in a generic sense.
Also I fail to see the relevance of "Political Correctness" in the series title. Perhaps that will come in the rest of the series. I hope that Adrian plans to debunk rather than perpetuate the myth that gender accurate translation is motivated by political correctness rather than a desire for translational accuracy.

3 Comments:

At Fri Aug 18, 02:32:00 PM, Blogger Nathan Wells said...

Wow, blog wars...



-Nathan

 
At Fri Aug 18, 02:49:00 PM, Blogger Peter Kirk said...

Wars? What wars? Adrian has yet to say anything which anyone on this blog will disagree with. My last sentence is perhaps a warning shot, and a battle may yet take place, but nothing yet. Anyway, both Adrian and I will be away for a bit, so it will be at least a week before any war breaks out.

 
At Mon Aug 21, 12:20:00 PM, Blogger Suzanne McCarthy said...

Maybe Adrian is talking about me. Certainly in the classical sense anthropos means a person, not male. But I am away too, so enough of that!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home