The older I get, and the more I pay attention to what I'm reading in the Bible, the more I realize how much there is in the Bible that I don't understand. Now, I'm not referring here to difficult concepts, such as what is symbolized by a gray horse in the book of Revelation, or what Paul meant by praying for the dead. Instead, I'm talking about wordings in Bibles which I don't understand. I've read these words all my life. I'm very familiar with them. But I don't really know what they mean. Here are some of them:
- "poor in spirit" (Matt. 5:5).
- "pure in heart" (Matt. 5:8)
- love God with all my soul (Deut. 6:5; Matt. 22:37)
- "lift up my soul" to God (Ps. 25:1)
- Christ eats with me and I with him (Rev. 3:20)
- beseech someone "by the mercies of God" (Rom. 12:1)
- "grace to you" (Rom. 1:7)
- "out of his belly/heart will flow rivers of living water (John 7:38)
What are some Bible wordings which you do not understand?