Better Bibles Blog has moved. Read our last post, below, and then
click here if you are not redirected to our new location within 60 seconds.
Please Bookmark our new location and update blogrolls.

Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Hen Scratches 14-08-07

The Hen is back to respond to Grasshopper. Nice to see you back, Grasshopper! Lingamish has several new posts on Greek here.

Doug has extended my few brief comments on the charisma in 1 Cor. 1:7.

ElShaddai has had a lot of good posts on Bible translation lately. Actually I like the Yoda-like "All we like sheep have gone astray" myself. I mean, maybe it is Yoda-like - I have complained about this myself before, but the question is whether the Bible speaks Yodish, or Yoda speaks Biblish.

John writes,
    Perhaps a few principles are worth enunciating. The relevance of the etymology of a word for the interpretation of a specific text can never be assumed. It must be demonstrated. Whether a semantic connection between word x and word y, or between senses x and y of the same word (see the examples above) is "in play" in a specific passage, is a legitimate and very interesting question. But: the connection cannot be assumed. It must be demonstrated.
I wonder if he is going to tear my last post apart.

That's okay. I am so frazzled at the moment it would make no difference. I have just renetworked my house (wireless) and found too few three prong outlets. Its a funny thing that wireless internet still requires power. Batteries only last so long with my screen set at full power. What a drag!

And - the sweet little pit bull that featured in one of my more infamous posts last year is here to visit for the next couple of weeks. Guess what - kennels don't accept pit bulls so she is here with auntie for the rest of the summer. Oh well, I really didn't want to see the Dead Sea Scrolls all that badly. My daughter was so disgusted - she said "Mom, that is so gross, what do you want to see dead sea squirrels for anyway?" Well, she is gone for the rest of the summer, no dogsitting for her unless she is paid premium rates.

2 Comments:

At Wed Aug 15, 12:27:00 PM, Blogger David Ker said...

Yippee. I missed the scritch scratching. And dead sea squirrels are definitely to be avoided.

 
At Wed Nov 07, 03:21:00 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Has anyone seen Norman Golb's review of the San Diego Dead Sea Scrolls exhibit catalog? It includes interesting remarks on the proper and improper translation of various passages.

Here's the link:

http://oi.uchicago.edu/pdf/dss_review_sandiego_catalogue_2007.pdf

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home