Better Bibles Blog has moved. Read our last post, below, and then
click here if you are not redirected to our new location within 60 seconds.
Please Bookmark our new location and update blogrolls.

Saturday, August 25, 2007

Notes on Jerome's Hebraica

I know this is incredibly self-indulgent and I always welcome someone else on the blog just posting over top of me when I do this - but-

I'm working on a brief history of shorthand in images for a presentation this fall and I had a space around the late middle ages. I needed an image of Tironian Notes circa 800.

Click on the image to enlarge.

This is a notebook of Karl Eberhart Henke from the 1960's. On this page he has recorded the text critical notes found in the margin of a 9th century manuscript of Jerome's Hebraica. These are some of the notes for Psalm 9. The third note down is a discussion of whether כַּפָּיו should read "the work of his hands" or "the work of his palms".

I don't know if knowledge of how to read these notes is being kept alive or not. Fortunately Henke's notes are very detailed. I apologize to those who have asked for other topics. I am indulging myself.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home