Hen Scratches: Jan. 13, 2008
1. Jews, Judeans, Israelites?
Michael Bird discusses Jesus the Israelite by John H. Elliot, who wants a word with us,
- It is time finally for interpreters, Bible Translators, and commentators to cease and desist. Jesus and the Jesus movement (with all its various movement groups) have their roots in Israel, not ‘Judaism’. They were , in the nascent period, predominantly ‘Israelites’, not ‘Jews’; 'Galileans,' not 'Judeans; 'Nazoreans' not ‘Christians’. They belonged to the House of Israel, not ‘Christianity’ (p. 148).
2. On another topic which has had too much exposure already, sorry, I read a comment about how women are weaker than men. 1 Peter 3:7. Funny, I couldn't remember that being in the Bible. I tried to find the translation which stated this "fact." Ah, the NASB.
- You husbands in the same way, live with your wives in an understanding way, as with someone weaker, since she is a woman;
- the weaker partner TNIV
their weaker nature HSCB
- the weaker vessel ESV
So, it has a slightly different meaning in three different contexts,
- showing honor to the woman as the weaker vessel 1 Peter 3:7 ESV
that each one of you know how to control his own body 1 Thess. 4:4 ESV
for he is a chosen instrument of mine to carry my name Acts 9:15 ESV
How does this sound for literal sense, if not literary sense,
- showing honor to the woman as the weaker instrument 1 Peter 3:7
that each one of you know how to control his own instrument 1 Thess. 4:4
for he is a chosen instrument of mine to carry my name Acts 9:15
- showing honor to the woman as [having] the weaker body
that each one of you know how to control his own body
John has a birthday, and Kevin has a new baby. Beautiful pictures, Kevin! I almost forgot to ask Dave to say "hi" to the penguins for me.