Better Bibles Blog has moved. Read our last post, below, and then
click here if you are not redirected to our new location within 60 seconds.
Please Bookmark our new location and update blogrolls.

Saturday, February 02, 2008

Translating "hell"

As I translated The Better Life Bible, I noticed that more than half (seven) of the occurrences of the term hell in the New Testament are in the Gospel of Matthew. So I decided to research where and how the term is used throughout the Bible. I discovered that the common definition of hell as a place of future punishment for the wicked dead has very weak support in the Bible. A more accurate definition would be the miserable life/condition that people experience when/because they reject God. I’ve written a seven-page paper that presents my findings. If you would like a copy, I’d be happy to send you one.

As a follow-up to the previous post, this is how I translated 1 John 3:11-24 in The Better Life Bible:

As I’ve said before, this is the same advice God gave our ancestors long ago. It’s obvious that Cain didn’t care about his brother Abel, because he killed him out of jealousy. So don’t be surprised when self-centered people make life miserable for you, too.

The more you care about others, the more you’ll realize that God is helping you improve your attitude and behavior. Eventually, you’ll even be willing to risk your life for others, as Jesus did.

Jesus demonstrated that the essence of God’s advice is caring about others. So you’re following God’s advice when you help others in need, and not just talk about it. Since self-centered people don’t help others in need, they obscure the fact that God cares about everyone.

God’s advice is more reliable than your conscience, so don’t hesitate to ask God to help you follow it.

Labels: , ,

21 Comments:

At Sat Feb 02, 12:07:00 PM, Blogger Daniel Goepfrich said...

Dan, I'd like to see your findings. Please send me a copy to pastor AT oaktreecc dot org. Thanks

Daniel

 
At Sat Feb 02, 01:24:00 PM, Blogger Eddie G said...

Dan, I too would be interested in reading your paper on this. I also have a good friend who has been reading and writing about hell and universalism who would be interested as well. I can pass a copy to him if that's OK with you.

My email is at martyrologist AT gmail DOT com. Thank you kindly. I look forward to reading it.

 
At Sat Feb 02, 02:26:00 PM, Blogger Dan Sindlinger said...

Daniel, I've emailed a copy of my paper. Let me know if you don't receive it.

 
At Sat Feb 02, 02:30:00 PM, Blogger Dan Sindlinger said...

Martyrologist, I've emailed a copy of my paper. Let me know if you don't receive it. You're welcome to pass it on to your friend.

 
At Sat Feb 02, 07:16:00 PM, Blogger Rich H said...

Dan, thanks so much for the generous offer. I'd love a copy of your paper. rich_holton at gmail dot com

 
At Sun Feb 03, 12:26:00 AM, Blogger Daniel said...

I'd very much like to read your paper. Please send me a copy at dezell *at* stonescry *dot* com

 
At Sun Feb 03, 05:08:00 AM, Blogger AlaBill said...

Dan, Please send me a copy as well. bnelson AT nelbro DOT com.

Thank you a bunch for the offer.

 
At Sun Feb 03, 05:36:00 AM, Blogger Kevin Knox said...

codepoke at wideopenwest and com. I expect this will be quite interesting.

 
At Sun Feb 03, 09:23:00 AM, Blogger chad said...

chad_brooks At asburyseminary dot edu

this looks like great work and I can't wait to read it.

 
At Sun Feb 03, 09:35:00 AM, Blogger Dan Sindlinger said...

Rich, Daniel, Alabill, Codepoke, & Chad,

I'm emailing a copy of my paper to each of you. Let me know if you don't receive it. I welcome your thoughts.

 
At Sun Feb 03, 10:40:00 AM, Blogger Dan Sindlinger said...

Rich, Daniel, Alabill, Codepoke, & Chad,

I just received a message that one or more of you did not receive my email. So please send me an email: DanSindlinger AT Juno.com

 
At Sun Feb 03, 04:27:00 PM, Blogger Light said...

Dan, could you please send me a copy, too, please? Email is lightofchrist89 -at- hotmail -dot- com. Thank you!

 
At Sun Feb 03, 05:22:00 PM, Blogger Dan Sindlinger said...

Light, I've emailed a copy of my paper. Let me know if you don't receive it.

 
At Sun Feb 03, 06:39:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please send me a copy.

lauren at fizleglitz dot com.

Thanks!

 
At Mon Feb 04, 09:58:00 AM, Blogger Peter Parslow said...

We were just discussing this subject at our work Christian Fellowship last week. Could I have a copy of your paper please?

PeterParslow at Onetel dot Com

 
At Mon Feb 04, 03:27:00 PM, Blogger Dan Sindlinger said...

Lauren & Peter, I've emailed a copy of my paper. Let me know if you don't receive it.

 
At Wed Feb 06, 07:23:00 PM, Blogger Brian said...

could I also have a copy? brianfulthorp at yahoo dot com
sounds interesting
thanks

 
At Thu Feb 07, 02:00:00 PM, Blogger Dan Sindlinger said...

Brian, I've emailed a copy of my paper. Let me know if you don't receive it.

 
At Sat Feb 23, 01:44:00 PM, Blogger Henry M Imler said...

Dan,

I would love to get my hands on that paper. Could you please send a copy to me at henry dot imler at gmail dot com?

Thanks,

HMI

 
At Thu Mar 06, 09:45:00 AM, Blogger Ginro said...

Please could you email me a copy of the paper?
My email address is:
sperestillan AT gmail DOT com
Thanks.

Tim

 
At Thu Mar 06, 03:50:00 PM, Blogger Dan Sindlinger said...

Honzo & Ginro, I've emailed a copy of my paper. Let me know if you don't receive it.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home