Better Bibles Blog has moved. Read our last post, below, and then
click here if you are not redirected to our new location within 60 seconds.
Please Bookmark our new location and update blogrolls.

Monday, April 21, 2008

Double Jeopardy

Two recent posts are a must read. Maybe they were written for me. I don't know - but thank you, Iyov and Henry.

First, Henry has put his tender thoughts on Youtube, Why I hate the KJV. Thanks, Henry! I loved seeing you hold your old Bibles.

And Iyov writes Why I don't like the ESV. Thank you, Iyov. Of course, the ESV is not a translation but a revision in order to meet the recently created language orthodoxy policies. (Of course, the KJV was a revision also, of the Bishop's Bible to meet other ends.)

My latest problem with the ESV is that it is the project of the same people as support the CBMW. This group denies that women are made in the image of God. Bruce Ware said,
    "Man is the image of God directly, woman is the image of God only through the man… Because man was created by God in His image first, man alone was created in a direct and unmediated fashion as the image of God, manifesting then the glory of God in man, that is male man…
Last time I looked Genesis 1 was still in the Bible,
    So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them. Gen. 1:27.
But one has to assume now that some people believe that "man" means only the male. Therefore, the phrase "in his own image" refers only to the preceding "man" and not to the following "male and female." Or maybe woman is created in the image of God as mediated through Adam. I guess that's it. In any case, there is, according to Bruce Ware,
    a God intended priority given to the man as the original image of God

Addendum:

I want to end on a light note and thanks to Steve I can,

א צאתהוליצ פריעסת אנד א ראבבי פינד תהעמסעלועס סיתתינג נעכת תו עאצה ותהער ונ א לונג חוורנעט אנד סו אפתער סומע העסיתאתיונ סתארת תו תאלכ תו עאצהותהער. אפתער דיסצוססינג תהע שעאתהער אנד ספורתס, תהע פריעסת תורנס תו תהע ראבבי אנד סאטס תהאת הע תהווגהת ית שאס ראתהער סתראנגע תהאת עה שאס נות אללושעד תו עאת פורכ, אנד אסכעד הימ שהעתהער הע עוער האד.

תהע ראבבי רעפליעד, ’שעלל, שהענ י שאס א סמאלל בוט, י דיד ינ פאצת תאסתע א סמאלל פיעצע ופ באצונ.’

’שהאת שאס ית ליכע?’ אסכעד תהע פריעסת.

תהע ראבבי רעפליעד: ’נות נעארלט אס גווד אס סעח.’

Tip: This starts in the upper left right* corner and is in English typed on a Hebrew keyboard. There have been through the ages many transliterations of this sort. I don't use this keyboard but it looks fairly straightforward.

*I must be somewhat dyslexic which is why I found this so easy to read.

10 Comments:

At Tue Apr 22, 11:03:00 AM, Blogger Richard A. Rhodes said...

This is the Hebrew-QWERTY keyboard.

first six keys upper left Hebrew qwerty (from right to left)
קשערתט

first six keys upper left standard Hebrew keyboard (from right to left)
/'קראט

 
At Tue Apr 22, 04:57:00 PM, Blogger Iyov said...

It would be easier to solve the puzzle if the space were correctly placed in עאצהותהער and if עה was correctly written as הע.

 
At Tue Apr 22, 06:17:00 PM, Blogger Suzanne McCarthy said...

Iyov, I took those minor errors as typing errors that the Steve did not proofread for. I read it without noticing them as by that time I was able to predict the text easily. Such small typos should not prevent someone from reading this.

Rich,

I don't think this Hebrew keyboard is bundled with MS, is it?

 
At Tue Apr 22, 11:21:00 PM, Blogger Richard A. Rhodes said...

I'm a Mac person. I don't know about PC keyboard utilities.

Both Hebrew keyboards (along with dozens of others, including both modern and classical Greek) are part of OS X on a Mac.

 
At Wed Apr 23, 03:15:00 PM, Blogger Paul Larson said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At Wed Apr 23, 03:23:00 PM, Blogger Paul Larson said...

Blogger Paul Larson said...

Why would an otherwise apparently articulate person make a video with the title "Why I hate the KJV" when he says he doesn't? I admit I only listened to the first four minutes, but he sure seemed to like it. The other individual doesn't like the ESV because of the people who are associated with it. Kinda ironic on a Blog that deals with the meaning of words.

Wed Apr 23, 03:15:00 PM

 
At Wed Apr 23, 05:40:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Paul, the point of the "I hate the KJV" post was or answer a criticism against him. The author has been accused of hating the KJV - which is false. The title is supposed to catch your attention. And it should be read as ironical.

 
At Wed Apr 23, 06:33:00 PM, Blogger Suzanne McCarthy said...

Paul,

Both are part of a longer conversation. I loved Henry's video.

As for Iyov's critique of the ESV, he links to a post where I record how shocked I was to discover how the ESV translated 2 Tim. 2:2 and then asked Dr. Packer if only men can be taught and he said "We think it means men." I happen to disagree with Dr. Packer although he did say that he recognized that both of us had the same kind of education in Greek.

So I appreciate Iyov taking on this issue for me.

Wayne Grudem claimed that he didn't look up adelphos in the lexicon. I don't see why those who really do know Greek ought to be quiet on these things.

 
At Thu Apr 24, 06:49:00 AM, Blogger Paul Larson said...

I clearly see that I was wrong

 
At Thu Apr 24, 12:02:00 PM, Blogger Suzanne McCarthy said...

Paul,

No problem. There is lots of context that I did not supply in my post.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home