Better Bibles Blog has moved. Read our last post, below, and then
click here if you are not redirected to our new location within 60 seconds.
Please Bookmark our new location and update blogrolls.

Friday, July 14, 2006

1 Cor. 1:10-13 on Bible versions

Perhaps Paul would say to us today:
10. By the authority of our Lord Jesus Christ I appeal to all of you, my brothers and sisters, to agree in what you say, so that there will be no divisions among you. Be completely united, with only one thought and one purpose.
11. For some people from Chloe's family have told me quite plainly, that there are quarrels among you.
12. Let me put it this way: each one of you says something different. One says, "I follow the NLT"; another, "I follow the ESV"; another, "I follow the TNIV"; and another, "I follow Christ."
13. Christ has been divided into groups! Did any Bible version die on the cross for you? Were you baptized as any Bible version's disciples?
I need to regularly hear this application of 1 Cor. 1:10-13 so that I, myself, in my efforts to help improve Bible versions and bring healing to divisions over Bible versions, do not cause further divisions or make an idol out of any Bible version.

How about you?

4 Comments:

At Fri Jul 14, 11:25:00 AM, Blogger anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At Fri Jul 14, 11:42:00 AM, Blogger Wayne Leman said...

I hadn't heard that shipwrecked story before. Sad but true (message). Thanks, Bob.

 
At Fri Jul 14, 12:09:00 PM, Blogger mattyc said...

Thanks for your post today! I really appreciated it!

 
At Fri Jul 14, 04:29:00 PM, Blogger David Ker said...

Thanks, Wayne, for a good perspective on this. This made me think of Proverb 25:20 also:

"Without wood a fire goes out;
without gossip a quarrel dies down."

We sometimes feed the flames, so to speak, by continuing to debate this topic. On one hand I feel it is a fight worth fighting but on the other hand I also am guilty of misplacing my energy on such topics when it might be better invested elsewhere.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home