Better Bibles Blog has moved. Read our last post, below, and then
click here if you are not redirected to our new location within 60 seconds.
Please Bookmark our new location and update blogrolls.

Monday, August 28, 2006

Favorite Bible Verses

Today's post at the ESV Bible blog lists favorite Bible verses that blog readers have submitted. I always enjoy learning what someone's favorite Bible verse is and why it is their favorite. I have been enriched by reading that post's list of verses and why people like them so much.

I have several favorites myself. It's difficult to call a single one my favorite. Here are some of my favorite verses in favorite wordings:
Delight yourself in the LORD and he will give you the desires of your heart. (Ps. 37:4, NASB, NIV, ESV)

Trust in the LORD with all your heart. Never rely on what you think you know. Remember the LORD in everything you do, and he will show you the right way. (Prov. 3:5-6, TEV)

Is that a joyous choir I hear? No, it is the Lord himself exulting over you in happy song. (Zeph. 3:17b, LB)

I am the vine, and you are the branches. If you stay joined to me, and I stay joined to you, then you will produce lots of fruit. But you cannot do anything without me. (John 15:5, CEV)

Don't let the world around you squeeze you into its own mould, but let God re-mould your minds from within, so that you may prove in practice that the plan of God for you is good, meets all his demands and moves towards the goal of true maturity. (Rom. 12:2, Phillips)

"Watch what God does, and then you do it, like children who learn proper behavior from their parents. Mostly what God does is love you. Keep company with him and learn a life of love. Observe how Christ loved us. His love was not cautious but extravagant. He didn't love in order to get something from us but to give everything of himself to us. Love like that." (Eph. 5:1-2, The Message)

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done. (Phil. 4:6, NLT)

When all kinds of trials and temptations crowd into your lives, my brothers, don't resent them as intruders, but welcome them as friends! Realise that they come to test your faith and to produce in you the quality of endurance. But let the process go on until that endurance is fully developed, and you will find you have become men of mature character with the right sort of independence. And if, in the process, any of you does not know how to meet any particular problem he has only to ask God—who gives generously to all men without making them feel foolish or guilty—and he may be quite sure that the necessary wisdom will be given him. But he must ask in sincere faith without secret doubts as to whether he really wants God's help or not. The man who trusts God, but with inward reservations, is like a wave of the sea, carried forward by the wind one moment and driven back the next. That sort of man cannot hope to receive anything from the Lord, and the life of a man of divided loyalty will reveal instability at every turn. (James 1:2-8, Phillips)

But if we confess our sins to God, he can always be trusted to forgive us and take our sins away. (1 John 1:9, CEV)
What are some of your favorites?

11 Comments:

At Tue Aug 29, 06:12:00 AM, Blogger Dan said...

1 Corinthians 6:19-20 "you are not your own, for you were bought with a price."

 
At Tue Aug 29, 07:12:00 AM, Blogger R. Mansfield said...

Ever since memorizing Gal 2:20 in the Navigator Topical Memory System years ago, it has been my favorite. And the large majority of my scripture memory work was done in the NASB which I believe has a certain rythm in this verse making it easy to memorize:

“I have been crucified with Christ; and it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself up for me.”
(Gal 2:20 NASB)

I was startled when reading the HCSB earlier this year that the first half of this verse is found in Gal 2:19 in that translation. However, I discovered the HCSB is following current divisions in the Greek New Testament. The NRSV is the only other translation that divides the verse that I've found.

Regardless, Gal 2:20 has been a constant reminder of my position and purpose, and it comes to my mind regularly.

 
At Tue Aug 29, 07:45:00 AM, Blogger David Ker said...

"I am going there to prepare a place for each of you. After I have done this, I will come back and take you with me. Then we will be together." John 14:2-3 (CEV)

"Next, all of us who are still alive will be taken up into the clouds together with them to meet the Lord in the sky. From that time on we will all be with the Lord forever." 1 Thess. 4:17 (CEV)

I get so excited when I think about the Lord returning. These verses make me want to sing, "Soon and very soon, we are going to see the King!"

 
At Tue Aug 29, 09:32:00 AM, Blogger Ted M. Gossard said...

I don't know what's happening today, but this is the second blogspot (Ben Witherington's earlier) in which I couldn't get a comment across. Very frustrating, especially when one takes some pain and time in commenting.

Will try again.

23 Then he said to them all: "Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross daily and follow me. 24 For whoever wants to save their life will lose it, but whoever loses their life for me will save it. (Luke 9)

13 "You are the salt of the earth. But if the salt loses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled underfoot.

14 "You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. 15 Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. 16 In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven.
(Matthew 5)

what is that to you? You must follow me. (John 21:22; all TNIV)

In George Mueller's biography by his son-in-law, A.T. Pierson, is a section listing Bible verses/passages important to him, chronologically in his life. I think often this is the case with us. Certain passages or verses are impacting us certain periods of time.

Thanks Wayne, for sharing this.

 
At Tue Aug 29, 01:07:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

During a time of recovery from surgery, the Lord spoke to me from Zeph. 3:17d, "He will quiet you with His love" (NKJV).

I have often thought of the Lord holding me in His arms like you would a baby and having him gently, quiet me in His love. There is nothing like that thought to bring comfort to your soul.

 
At Tue Aug 29, 03:16:00 PM, Blogger mattyc said...

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11 TNIV

 
At Tue Aug 29, 03:50:00 PM, Blogger Timothy said...

This is my first comment on this website. I just wanted to let you know, that as a Catholic, I appreciate your posts and perspective.

My favorite verse is probably:

"But rejoice in so far as you share Christ's sufferings, that you may also rejoice and be glad when his glory is revealed."
-- 1 Peter 4:13

 
At Tue Aug 29, 05:03:00 PM, Blogger anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At Wed Aug 30, 06:40:00 AM, Blogger Peter Kirk said...

On the same day as this went out, PamBG happened to blog about her own favourite Bible verse, 2 Corinthians 5:19 “...in Christ God was reconciling the world to himself, not counting their trespasses against them, and entrusting the message of reconciliation to us.” (NRSV, Pam's version) An excellent choice! Follow the link for some explanation.

 
At Thu Aug 31, 06:12:00 AM, Blogger pearlie said...

All these are excellent choices! I will be noting several of them down :)

My favourites has always been in the psalms:

Ps 121: I lift up my eyes to the hills. From where does my help come from? ...

Ps 27: The LORD is my light and my salvation, whom shall I fear? ...

Ps 91: He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will abide in the shadow of the Almighty ...

My other favourites include:

John 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

Hab 3:17-19
Though the fig tree should not blossom, nor fruit be on the vines, the produce of the olive fail and the fields yield no food, the flock be cut off from the fold and there be no herd in the stalls, yet I will rejoice in the LORD; I will take joy in the God of my salvation. GOD, the Lord, is my strength; he makes my feet like the deer's; he makes me tread on my high places.

I have more! but these will do for now.

Maeghan

 
At Mon Sep 11, 01:54:00 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Psalm 51, especially verses 10-12

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home