Better Bibles Blog has moved. Read our last post, below, and then
click here if you are not redirected to our new location within 60 seconds.
Please Bookmark our new location and update blogrolls.

Thursday, August 24, 2006

Response to Adrian: part 2, the interlinear

Adrian then uses the new ESV Interlinear to analyse 2 Peter 1:21 and has this to say about the TNIV.

    But notice the terrible laxness with the actual WORDS of the text that the TNIV shows in the rest of this verse.
Adrian has assumed the syntax represents meaning. He wants the syntax of the Greek in English and then he thinks he has found 'transparency'. I hardly know where to go with this.

I have never heard of an interlinear translation of any other text apart from the Bible in my life. I would not know what to do with such a thing. What do I read? Well, this last week, spent without electricity, I read a book which was written in English on the poetry of Rilke among others. There were no interlinear translations. The text was represented first in German and then in English. There was no attempt at making a syntactically parallel translation of Rilke. The translations were intended to be meaningful, and they were not literal!

Then I read a book that had been translated from French. Now, I am going to go out and by the French version to read it all over again. No, I do not want an interlinear translation.

Later I am going to revisit 1 Timothy 2:5 for Adrian to explain the history of the phrase 'himself human.' It has no connection to any feminist agenda or political correctness. No such luck!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home