Better Bibles Blog has moved. Read our last post, below, and then
click here if you are not redirected to our new location within 60 seconds.
Please Bookmark our new location and update blogrolls.

Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Becoming Bible for Babes


OK, OK, believe it or not, I'm still around. We dudes have not abandoned Suzanne for the summer, nor have we asked her to make and bring us our coffee (groan!). Although I have a few more blogging ideas, I have had blogging fatigue recently, due to several factors, not the least of which is a worsening of my wife's long battle against Lyme Disease. Dan Sindlinger's wife is also in a difficult fight against Lyme Disease.

As for the conversation on this blog about Better Bibles for Babes, I thought of the Thomas Nelson Biblezines targeted to women or men (and other demographic groups, as well). Believe it or not, but the magazine cover posted to the left is for a complete New Testament. It is the New Century Version formatted as a magazine for today's readers. Here's what the publisher says about it:

For the fast-paced, busy lifestyle of women, the Becoming BibleZine is the perfect gift to help her on her spiritual journey. This second edition of Becoming offers practical insight on the Christian life through features such as: "Women & Men of the Bible", "Be still & Know", "Modern Worship", "Balancing Act", "Love", "Life Issues", "Health", "Relationships" and many more. Becoming is a wonderful gift for women between the ages of 22-35.
And, for the sake of equality, you can also read about Thomas Nelson's Biblezine for men--some of whom are also called babes, by some women, at least.

10 Comments:

At Tue Jul 03, 02:36:00 PM, Blogger Iyov said...

I hope your wife and Dan's wife get better soon.

These "Biblezines" by Thomas Nelson seem to be pale imitations of much better true "magazines" such as the Catholic Magnificat (Amazon) or the semi-monthly Daf Yomi Talmud mailings from Art Scroll.

I do worry that Biblezines transmit a casual value towards Scripture. I was taught to treat Bibles with respect when I was growing up -- and there is something about a nicely bound Bible that demands respect. In contrast, I treat magazines casually -- carrying them into the bathroom, or using them as coasters for beverages.

 
At Tue Jul 03, 02:39:00 PM, Blogger Peter Kirk said...

Some people, male and female, are still babes in Christ, and so they need the "milk" of an easy to read Bible, not the solid food of "a nicely bound Bible that demands respect."

 
At Tue Jul 03, 02:44:00 PM, Blogger Suzanne McCarthy said...

Oh, there you are, guys, all crawling out of the woodwork at once! Coffee, anyone?

 
At Wed Jul 04, 12:28:00 AM, Blogger Ruud Vermeij said...

I'd like some tea, please.
As you know, I am in Holland. Maybe, when you are on the way, you pass Peter and bring him some tea too (I cannot imagine an englishman drinking coffee...) :-)

 
At Wed Jul 04, 01:03:00 AM, Blogger David Ker said...

Wayne, I continue to pray for you and your wife. I'll add the Sindlingers to my prayers as well.

Coffee at my place any time you're in the neighborhood.A

 
At Wed Jul 04, 08:52:00 AM, Blogger Wayne Leman said...

The truth is the I don't drink coffee, nor tea. A doctor took caffeine off my diet many years ago due to physical issue I have. I do drink water.

 
At Wed Jul 04, 10:20:00 AM, Blogger Peter Kirk said...

Ruud, I am actually a coffee drinker, at least I definitely prefer it to tea. Most people are here in England. But Suzanne can make me either if she happens to drop by this way - no, I should make it for her if she is my guest here.

 
At Wed Jul 04, 12:24:00 PM, Blogger Suzanne McCarthy said...

Ruud,

I thought that Amsterdam was the founder of the western coffee trade.

I do drink coffee but I like chai too.

 
At Thu Jul 05, 01:37:00 AM, Blogger Ruud Vermeij said...

I'm in the coffee machine bussiness. (And I don't drink coffee...) Most of our machines with freshbrew tea go to England.

For the linguists:
EN - Coffee
DE - Kaffee
NL - Koffie
S - Kaffe
FI - Kahvi
FR - Café
RU - Кофе
NO - Kaffe
HU - Kávé
DA - Kaffe

 
At Thu Jul 05, 05:45:00 AM, Blogger Peter Kirk said...

Most of our machines with freshbrew tea go to England.

I'm not surprised. A machine here needs to dispense both. But in many places it will be put harder to work on coffee than tea. If you would like to send a machine for me to collect sample statistics, my church would welcome it!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home