Better Bibles Blog has moved. Read our last post, below, and then
click here if you are not redirected to our new location within 60 seconds.
Please Bookmark our new location and update blogrolls.

Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Hen Scratches 11-09-07

Just a few notes.

I did not mention yesterday that the 1662 prayer book psalter is basically the same as the Coverdale translation. I was surprised to see that these psalms are so dependent on the LXX and Vulgate tradition, at least what I have seen so far.

Recent posts on Ps. 68 around the blogosphere are Bob's, Dave's, Iyov's, J. K.'s, John's, and Stefan's.

Two contrasting posts about Logos software, one from Iyov, and this is on their own blog. HT Metacatholic. Jim has this to say about interlinears,
    Interlinears are the Devil’s tools. They allow presumption and reinforce dilettantism. We all know at least two people who have no knowledge of Greek or Hebrew, but with interlinear in hand, have the unmitigated hubris to assume the right of argumentation with actual scholars.
Jim also has a good explanation for my cheery disposition. I am part Swiss. And, to keep you up to date, the writing systems presentation that I was working on in August has been accepted for a conference in Toronto late in October. All that work paid off.

4 Comments:

At Tue Sep 11, 09:05:00 PM, Blogger David Ker said...

Jim was being naughty so I flamed him. Interlinears are frequently misused. But so are PhD's and M. Divs.

 
At Tue Sep 11, 10:51:00 PM, Blogger Suzanne McCarthy said...

I am so glad I don't have any of the above.

 
At Wed Sep 12, 03:45:00 AM, Blogger Peter Kirk said...

Lingamish, what about D.Th.'s? That's Jim West's qualification. Well, he does also have an M.Div., but he denies being a Ph.D.

Actually for once I agree with Jim on this one, interlinears are of very little use, except for people who want to pretend they know a language they don'w know, and reverse interlinears are even worse.

 
At Wed Sep 12, 09:18:00 PM, Blogger David Ker said...

Peter, I also agree with Jim. The subversive agenda of my Grasshopper Greek series was to show that there are a lot of ways to study the Scriptures that don't include interlinears or even a deep knowledge of the original languages. I think most people believe that Bible translations are hiding something from them and that by seeing the "real thing" they will somehow be enlightened.

I am not opposed to interlinears. I use them for Greek and Hebrew all the time (especially electronic versions). But a reverse interlinear is a new one for me.

It's a shame that Jim isn't a PhD. I have this gross rash that I was hoping he'd take a look at.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home