Better Bibles Blog has moved. Read our last post, below, and then
click here if you are not redirected to our new location within 60 seconds.
Please Bookmark our new location and update blogrolls.

Friday, September 07, 2007

Hen Scratches 07-09-07

Too funny, someone wrote and explained to me that it is "bated breath", not "baited breath". I got a good chuckle out of that - good clean fun for me, laughing at my own mistakes. I have a bad habit of pointing out other people's spelling errors. If someone would like to keep a chart of mine they are welcome. Maybe Bob would translate it into living colour. I usually respond in good humour - unless I have a toothache at the same time, that is.

Rob Bradshaw has recently posted a fascinating article on Mandrakes. Rob has a knack for finding the curious and intriguing.

Doug of Metacatholic has responded in a very balanced and thoughtful way to some of the interaction between David Lang and myself on the gender wars. He has written here, here and here. Doug offers a refreshing onlooker's viewpoint on the debate. I hope to respond to Doug soon.

ElShaddai has a good post on the Revised English Bible. I doubt it will become a common Bible, but it deserves more press than it gets.

Jim West makes an empathetic gesture here. I appreciate this kind of writing. It keeps me quiet for a day or two.

I have received a request to blog about Isaiah 53:4 "He has borne our griefs and carried our sorrows." We have conferred and decided that we can shed no further light on this. Possibly we simply lack the scholarship; maybe there is no resolution. If anyone else in the blogosphere feels able to take this up, it would be most welcome.

On the Jane Austen front, one of my colleagues here in Vancouver has finally diagnosed Mr. Darcy's problem. He is apparently autistic, excuse me, he has Asperger's. :-) I am still not sure if this is just in fun, or what. Seems to me there are two kinds of Sp. Nds. teachers. Those who want to diagnose everybody and those who don't.

R.I.P. Madeleine L'Engle - my daughter is also reading some of her books right now.

An interesting post on Scripture and Interpretation on Mayfly. We are doing our best to turn the tide on Biblical illiteracy here!

Thanks to Duane for the carnival last week. I submitted all my abnormal interests to that event. Don't say I never submit!

Lingamish reminds me of the Transparent English Bible. While I laud the spirit in which this project is being undertaken, "living life-breathers" and "soilman" do not tickle my fancy. Sort of makes me wonder whether someone needs a change of diapers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home