Better Bibles Blog has moved. Read our last post, below, and then
click here if you are not redirected to our new location within 60 seconds.
Please Bookmark our new location and update blogrolls.

Friday, November 09, 2007

Shaddai - Sufficient

Update: Mark comments,

Shaddai is also translated with hikanos in Job 21.15; 31.2; and 40.2.
A great tool for doing exactly what you hope to do in lining up the Hebrew with the LXX is the way Tov's Parallel Aligned Hebrew and LXX is implemented in BibleWorks7. I've posted about it a couple times here and here.

--------------

I finally found it. Apologies. I had no idea of this translation. In the Septuagint, in Ruth 1:20, Shaddai is translated as "sufficient" or "enough" - hikanos.
    21 καὶ εἶπεν πρὸς αὐτάς μὴ δὴ καλεῖτέ με Νωεμιν καλέσατέ με Πικράν ὅτιἐπικράνθη ἐν ἐμοὶ ὁ ἱκανὸς σφόδρα

    She said to them, Call me no longer Noemin, call me Bitter, for the Sufficient One was greatly embittered against me. NETS

    She said to them, "Do not call me Naomi; call me Mara, for the Almighty has dealt very bitterly with me. ESV

    “Don’t call me ‘Naomi’! Call me ‘Mara’ because the Sovereign One has treated me very harshly. NET.

    But she said, "Don't call me Naomi; call me Bitter. The Strong One has dealt me a bitter blow. Message
This took me by surprise. I didn't realize how many different ways Shaddai had been translated in the LXX and everywhere else. There is more to come.

What amazes me is the different slant put on this name, from "sufficient" to "sovereign" to "strong one". For the first time, I really wish I had some searching software. I would like to quickly line up all the cases of Shaddai in the Hebrew with their translation in the Septuagint. I am almost, but not quite, finished doing this one by one.

NETS - New English Translation of the Septuagint is available here in electronic form.
NET - New English Translation.
Other translations from Biblegateway.com

Labels:

4 Comments:

At Sat Nov 10, 04:50:00 AM, Blogger J. K. Gayle said...

In contrast to NETS (i.e., Frederick W. Knobloch’s 2007) translation of hikanos in Ruth in LXX, there’s Sir Lancelot C.L. Brenton’s 1851 translation of the same.

Instead of “the Sufficient One” as for Knoblock, in Ruth in English for Brenton ‘ο ‘ικανο’ς is “the Mighty One.”

And, Suzanne, since you’re finding “how many different ways Shaddai had been translated in the LXX,” I’m looking for how many different ways hikanos is used in the LXX and in the NT.

Here they are (first in the negative, then in the positive):

(Not) enough - Isaiah 40:16
(Not) worthy - Mark 1:7, Luke 3:16
(Not) fit – Matt. 3:11, 1 Cor. 15:9
(Not) deserving - Matthew 8:8

Sizeable, large (crowd) - Luke 7:12
Considerable (numbers) - Acts 11:24
Aloud (weeping) – Acts 20:37
(Who) can endure (the day of the Lord) - Joel 2:11

(The word is used quite often in the Illiad and Odyssey even more differently).

 
At Sat Nov 10, 07:25:00 AM, Blogger Suzanne McCarthy said...

That's a good reason not to use the Brenton translation if you want to know what is in the Septuagint. Thanks for adding this information.

 
At Sat Nov 10, 07:42:00 AM, Blogger MGVHoffman said...

Shaddai is also translated with hikanos in Job 21.15; 31.2; and 40.2.
A great tool for doing exactly what you hope to do in lining up the Hebrew with the LXX is the way Tov's Parallel Aligned Hebrew and LXX is implemented in BibleWorks7. I've posted about it a couple times here and here.

 
At Sat Nov 10, 08:38:00 AM, Blogger Suzanne McCarthy said...

Mark,

Thanks so much. I am surprised that I have not felt the want of software earlier.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home