Better Bibles Blog has moved. Read our last post, below, and then
click here if you are not redirected to our new location within 60 seconds.
Please Bookmark our new location and update blogrolls.

Monday, April 28, 2008

BW3 on choosing a Bible translation

I noticed that Ben Witherington has made available a lecture on choosing a Bible translation on his blog:

On Choosing a Translation

Listen and enjoy. And let me know what he says. Very few of us in the the 2/3rds world can do things like listen to audio and video podcasts.

Update 1: I apologize for my pathetic whining (see above).

Update 2: Thanks to my whining, however, Nathan Stitt provided a rundown on the video at his blog: Ben Witherington On Translations

Update 3: Apparently according to comments on Nathan's blog Ben is calling NKJV, NRSV and RSV "idiomatic translations." That's funny since Ben is an excellent writer of idiomatic English yet he doesn't sound anything like those translations. ;-)

Update 4: Um, duh. I didn't see Suzanne's rundown so I'm checking that out now...

5 Comments:

At Mon Apr 28, 02:57:00 PM, Blogger Nathan Stitt said...

David,
I posted on my blog about BW3's video. I created some small screenshots from his Power Point slides that you should be able to download quickly. I think you will be most interested in the excerpt he played from an idiomatic Australian translation of Luke. Details here.

 
At Mon Apr 28, 04:16:00 PM, Blogger Tim Bulkeley said...

David, thank you! Just when I was turning greener than a Martian at the thought of your new job, you remind me that not all the grass is greener over the fence!

 
At Mon Apr 28, 10:57:00 PM, Blogger Suzanne McCarthy said...

Hey, just trying to be a good blog buddy, Dave. I didn't agree with his categorization either, but I decided to try and report without editorializing.

 
At Tue Apr 29, 11:16:00 PM, Blogger Kevin A. Sam said...

Hey we all editorialize. We just hope we don't get into heavy heavy debates as a result of our editorializations.

 
At Wed Apr 30, 02:17:00 AM, Blogger Iyov said...

You know, the whole video was pretty goofy and pretty sloppy. I used to read Witherington's blog, and just couldn't take it anymore -- it seems he always gets at least one fact wrong in each post.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home