Better Bibles Blog has moved. Read our last post, below, and then
click here if you are not redirected to our new location within 60 seconds.
Please Bookmark our new location and update blogrolls.

Friday, October 24, 2008

Faith does not come by hearing (Rom. 10:17) -- P.S.

I have withdrawn my post on this topic, due to some errors I made. Hopefully I can rescue the essential point of the original, revise it, and re-post it. The basic notion was correct that in English there needs to be an explicit object after the gerund "hearing". A gerund is a verbal noun which can function as a noun, yet can take objects as does a verb.

2 Comments:

At Fri Oct 24, 01:37:00 PM, Blogger Rich said...

Of course, Rom 10:17 does include the object, "the word of Christ".

Maybe I can wait for your entire discussion, eh? LOL

Rich

 
At Fri Oct 24, 01:52:00 PM, Blogger Wayne Leman said...

Thanks for your comment, Rich. I have revised my post and re-posted it. The point of my post is that the underlying Greek is transitive: there is an object, as you correctly point out and as I noted in both my original and revised post. But the first instance of the Greek noun for hearing lacks and object, something which English syntax requires for "hear" or "hearing". Let's shift any further discussion to the revised post.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home