Better Bibles Blog has moved. Read our last post, below, and then
click here if you are not redirected to our new location within 60 seconds.
Please Bookmark our new location and update blogrolls.

Saturday, August 20, 2005

Wesley Blog rediscovers the GOD'S WORD translation

Shane Raynor of Wesley Blog has rediscovered the GOD'S WORD translation. He writes a good review of this good translation, which, unfortunately, has not gotten a lot of press. I wrote a technical review of GOD'S WORD a number of years ago for a speciality audience of Bible translators. My review might not convey my assessment as well as it should that GOD'S WORD is a good English version for many English audiences. One of its advantages of GOD'S WORD is that its primary translator had many years of Bible translation experience in Africa as a Bible translation consultant. That kind of experience can be invaluable when applied to English Bible translation. The result can be better Bibles than are often produced when English translators have no prior training in translation principles or experience wrestling with accurate, appropriate solutions for Bible translation issues, including those for English speakers.

Categories: , ,

3 Comments:

At Mon Aug 22, 03:30:00 PM, Blogger Rich said...

Howdy, Wayne. I think that Eugene Bunkowske was overall translation coordinator of the GW translation, but not the primary translator. In the New Testament Robert Hoerber (LCMS) and a WELS NT professor (can't recall his name) were the primary translators - at least originally. For the OT, Andrew Steinmann was the primary translator.

 
At Thu Aug 25, 04:40:00 AM, Blogger Trevor Jenkins said...

I recently started reading the God's Word translation; decided that during our recentvaccation I wouldn't pack any printed version but instead would use whatever modern translations were installed on my wife's laptop to support my reading of J Alec Motyer's commentary on the book of Isaiah it came down to either the CEV or the GW. The CEV is my translation of choice so I plumped for the GW instead. We've been back from holiday for a week or so and as the printed copy of GW I ordered arrived I've decided to continue using it as I work through Motyer's excellent commentary.

Expect there to be some updates to the GW comments pages as I explore favourite passages in a new light.

In Wayne's blog he mentions a formal review of GW but neglects to give the URL. So I hope he doesn't object if I correct that omission pointing y'all to the relevant page on his Bible Translation web site.

 
At Thu Aug 25, 07:22:00 AM, Blogger Wayne Leman said...

In Wayne's blog he mentions a formal review of GW but neglects to give the URL. So I hope he doesn't object if I correct that omission pointing y'all to the relevant page on his Bible Translation web site.

Thanks, Trevor. I was trying to put that url in as the link to that review, but, instead, I put in the link to the GW section of this blog. I'll correct the error now.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home