Better Bibles Blog has moved. Read our last post, below, and then
click here if you are not redirected to our new location within 60 seconds.
Please Bookmark our new location and update blogrolls.

Saturday, August 06, 2005

What does "wirped" mean?

Tim Sisk, who has just started blogging, asks of my previous post:
What does "wirped" mean?
That's a very fair question. It's the kind of question which people sometimes ask when they encounter a word in a Bible version which they do not recognize or understand. Those who know me will not be surprised that I will now say that I was trying to accomplish a couple of things with my previous post:
1. Summarize my wirp of Bible versions over the years
2. Stimulate thinking about what can be done with words in Bible versions which are not familiar to the readers
Now, a blog is probably not the greatest forum for dialogue learning, which I happen to enjoy, throwing out comments or questions and hoping for good questions like Tim's, then hoping for further interaction until we can find answers together. But I'm hoping the blog format will allow some of this.

So, what kind of answer might you give to Tim and others who wonder what "wirp" means?

And would any of you like to share any other reactions you had when you read my preceding blog post? How did you feel as you read it? Did you feel that you were being informed on a topic that you had some interest in, but then something might have interfered with that process of being informed?

There are no right or wrong answers in any of this. I'm hoping there can be some discussion. As always, I'm thinking of how all this relates to Bible translation and how people respond when they encounter something in the text which they do not understand.

Without trying to be disingenuous (I am very sincere in trying to address an important Bible translation issue), let me give a partial answer to Tim's question and say what Tim and other readers have probably already have figured out: "wirped" is the past tense of the verb "wirp."

Furthermore, let me give a hint which literature teachers as well as Bible teachers often tell their students: Try to figure out the meaning of "wirp" from its wirpage in its context. You might be able to come up with a meaning for "wirp" that way. I would encourage comments to this post to address any of the topics in the preceding post or this one. Feel free to comment with what you think the meaning of "wirp" might be. And, again, I am especially curious to know how any of you emotionally or cognitively reacted to any literary bumps in my preceding post.

2 Comments:

At Sat Aug 06, 09:58:00 PM, Blogger Talmida said...

What fun! I drorfed this a lot.

:)


The tricky part is that you've always given wirp the same object - a Bible or Bible version. The commments are a great help, where wirp has "endorsement" for object. Because of the comments, I'd translate wirp as "use". Without them, I'd want to restrict the verb to the one object.

 
At Mon Aug 08, 07:14:00 AM, Blogger Wayne Leman said...

You'd make a good linguist, Talmida.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home