Good News for Everyone V: Worldwide English
In this case 'who are not true' is used instead of 'false' creating an extremely awkward sentence.
- My dear brothers, do not trust every spirit. But test the spirits to see if they belong to God. There are many prophets who are not true who have gone out into the world. 1 John 4:1
The words 'to pay for' are added make explicit what is clearly intended in the original.
- This is love! We did not love God, but he loved us. And he sent his Son to be the sacrifice to pay for the wrong things we have done. 1 John 4:10
- Praise him! His kindness is great and wonderful. We have been accepted by God through Jesus Christ, whom he loves so much. Eph. 1:6
The phrase 'to make us free' replaces redemption. Since redemption is not a frequently used word in English, and certainly not with this meaning, this seems an improvement.
- Jesus Christ has given his blood [died] to make us free Eph. 1:7
Verbal phrases are often repeated in order to create short sentences without subordinate clauses and fewer words per sentence.
- God chose us in Christ. He chose us that we should be holy and good before him Eph.1:4
In this case the term 'mystery' is omitted altogether. 'Mystery of his will' is simply written as 'plan.'
- He has shown us the plan he had. Eph. 1:9
I have below given the BWE, ESV and the GNB for Eph. 1:3 - 10. It is clear that the GNB makes use of many of the strategies of the BWE. The language of the original is notoriously compact and difficult to understand. The ESV more literally represents the Greek, but does not always create meaning in the mind of the English reader.
If, in fact, the words used in Greek were more familiar to a Greek reader than the corresponding words used in the ESV, which I use to represent a traditional and literal translation, then the changes made by the BWE and the GNB would be legitimate.
Ephesians 1:3 - 10
Bible in Worldwide English
- 3Praise God, the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! He has blessed us in Christ with every blessing which is in heaven, such as the Spirit gives us.Before the world was made, God chose us in Christ. He chose us that we should be holy and good before him. 5Because he loved us, he planned that we should be his own children. It is through Jesus Christ that we are God's children. That is the way God wanted it to be. 6Praise him! His kindness is great and wonderful. We have been accepted by God through Jesus Christ, whom he loves so much. 7Jesus Christ has given his blood [died] to make us free. He has forgiven us for our wrong ways. We have been put right with God freely because of his great kindness. 8He has given us blessing after blessing in his wisdom and understanding. 9He has shown us the plan he had. This plan was what he wanted to do through Christ. 10When the right time came, God planned to bring together everything in heaven and on earth, and make Christ head of them all.
- 3Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us in Christ with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places, 4even as he chose us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and blameless before him. In love 5he predestined us[b] for adoption through Jesus Christ, according to the purpose of his will, 6to the praise of his glorious grace, with which he has blessed us in the Beloved. 7In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of our trespasses, according to the riches of his grace, 8which he lavished upon us, in all wisdom and insight 9making known[c] to us the mystery of his will, according to his purpose, which he set forth in Christ 10as a plan for the fullness of time, to unite all things in him, things in heaven and things on earth
- Let us give thanks to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! For in our union with Christ he has blessed us by giving us every spiritual blessing in the heavenly world. Even before the world was made, God had already chosen us to be his through our union with Christ, so that we would be holy and without fault before him. Because of his love God F2 had already decided that through Jesus Christ he would make us his children---this was his pleasure and purpose. Let us praise God for his glorious grace, for the free gift he gave us in his dear Son! For by the blood of Christ F3 we are set free, that is, our sins are forgiven. How great is the grace of God, which he gave to us in such large measure! In all his wisdom and insight God did what he had purposed, and made known to us the secret plan he had already decided to complete by means of Christ. This plan, which God will complete when the time is right, is to bring all creation together, everything in heaven and on earth, with Christ as head.