Better Bibles Blog has moved. Read our last post, below, and then
click here if you are not redirected to our new location within 60 seconds.
Please Bookmark our new location and update blogrolls.

Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Target audience of the BLB

In a Gallup Poll dated October, 2000, the percentage of people who read the Bible has declined from 73% in the 1980’s to 59%, broken down into the following categories:

16% read it every day
21% read it weekly

12% read it monthly
10% read it less than monthly
41% rarely or never read it
___
63%
Since The Better Life Bible is geared to people who read the Bible less than an hour per week, it has the potential to be useful to at least 63% of the population of American English speakers, including:

~ people who rarely or never attend church
~ busy professionals who work a lot of hours
~ people who rarely read books, magazines or newspapers
~ people who don’t take the time to read footnotes or endnotes
~ multilingual speakers who’ve learned English as their second language
~ people who are embarrassed to ask others about terms they don’t understand
~ readers who don’t have Bible study resources, such as a Bible dictionary or commentaries
If your family, friends and coworkers are similar to mine, you can probably name many who fall into at least one of these categories and could benefit from The Better Life Bible.

Categories: , ,

8 Comments:

At Tue Dec 05, 01:59:00 PM, Blogger Adrenalin Tim said...

Link is broken. I'd like to see more.

 
At Tue Dec 05, 02:18:00 PM, Blogger Mark Wutka said...

A posting here last year had some links about the Better Life Bible. I assume this is still the main page.

 
At Wed Dec 06, 05:42:00 AM, Blogger Dan Sindlinger said...

Daniel, Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I made the change and the link is working now.

Mark, Thanks for providing the link for Daniel.

By the way, I hope to submit my translation of the entire NT to Lulu.com for publication later today. I also plan to update our web site in the next few days with my revised and final translation.

 
At Wed Dec 06, 03:43:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wonder if you might b einterested in my Bible Reading Notes, covering the whole of Scripture www.christinallthescriptures.blogspot.com www.theologyofgcberkouwer.blogspot.com http://chascameron.spaces.live.com
Best Wishes.

 
At Sat Dec 09, 08:51:00 AM, Blogger Ted M. Gossard said...

Dan,

I find your desire commendable, and think the wording is great, and it's concise, so that the target audience is not overwhelmed with the volume (like in the full Bible).

Having looked at 1 John and Romans 3, however, I'm taken back by no reference at all to Jesus and his death being the greatest example and gift of God's love to us humans. I'd be much interested in your explanation here. Am I missing something?

 
At Sun Dec 10, 06:07:00 PM, Blogger Dan Sindlinger said...

Ted, Thanks for your comments and question. Here are a few excerpts that I think address your concern:

1 John 2 - The only way you’ll enjoy the better life God promised is by following Jesus’ example.

1 John 3 - The more you care about others, the more you’ll realize that God is helping you improve your attitude and behavior. Eventually, you’ll even be willing to risk your life for others, as Jesus did.

1 John 5 - Jesus risked his life to demonstrate that God’s advice for a better life is much better than anyone else’s.

Romans 3 - They don’t realize they could enjoy a better life by following God’s advice as Jesus did.

Which particular verses do you feel I didn't fully convey? I'll take another look at them.

I welcome any other thoughts you may have.

 
At Wed Dec 13, 04:26:00 PM, Blogger Ted M. Gossard said...

Dan,

Thanks for your reply.

I guess I'm insisting that these verses on Jesus' death say more- at least in some places, than is in your translation. For me, perhaps Romans 3 is the most glaring example. Somehow Christ's death being a sacrifice for our sins needs to be made clear. Not just that he risked his life for others. There's more to it than that. But the reader wouldn't know that.

 
At Wed Dec 13, 04:48:00 PM, Blogger Dan Sindlinger said...

Ted, I think I understand your concern. Without going into a theological debate, I think our understanding of "sacrifice for our sins" may differ. I found the book entitled "Beyond the Passion" by Stephen Patterson very helpful in understanding the purpose and effect of sacrifice in Jesus' day.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home