Better Bibles Blog has moved. Read our last post, below, and then
click here if you are not redirected to our new location within 60 seconds.
Please Bookmark our new location and update blogrolls.

Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Iyov on the NRSV

Catch this post on the NRSV: Using copyright to protect against sexism. And tell us how to pronounce your name, Iyov. Lingamish wants to know. (I do to but I didn't want to admit that I don't know.) Lingamish writes,

    I’ve seen this name popping up on Better Bibles Blog and now I had a chance to check out the blog. 47 posts in June! This looks promising. Lotsa pretty pictures, too.

    Let’s vote on how you pronounce Iyov:

    Iyon rhymes with…

    1. I yawn
    2. He gone
    3. Yeehaw

7 Comments:

At Wed Jul 04, 02:46:00 AM, Blogger DavidR said...

OK. I'm sure I'm missing something basic here and will end up looking like an idiot, but hey! it won't be the first time! (nor the last, I reckon)...

...but I would have guessed that Iyov rhymes with "Jove", except in a Web 2.0 kind of way, "eYove".

Or is the v/n some intentional Greek-Hebrew interchange kind of thing, in a sort of Joseph Yahuda, Hebrew is Greek, sort of way???

Puzzledly yrs, David Reimer

 
At Wed Jul 04, 09:09:00 AM, Blogger Suzanne McCarthy said...

I don't know, David, you have to ask Lingamish, but I got to thinking it must rhyme with "he drove" so I'm with you on this.

Then I thought maybe Lingamish meant Yvonne/Yvon - maybe a new Russian emperor - Yvonne the great!

I imagine Iyov will turn up and help us out. When he has solved the gimmel thing.

 
At Wed Jul 04, 10:14:00 AM, Blogger Peter Kirk said...

I think I know the answer, which is actually written all across his blog. Consider which is Iyov's favourite language and which is his favourite Bible character. But I won't spoil the fun by giving the answer here.

 
At Wed Jul 04, 11:31:00 AM, Blogger DavidR said...

Just so, Peter! My "Web 2.0" rhyme was the closest I could come without spelling it out (as it were!). Thus my puzzlement....

 
At Wed Jul 04, 12:12:00 PM, Blogger Suzanne McCarthy said...

David,

The way I see it is that you are right and the rest of us just have a warped sense of humour.

 
At Wed Jul 04, 12:47:00 PM, Blogger Iyov said...

It appears to me that Lingamish must be using a cursive handwriting font on his computer (or perhaps an actual person to write out the contents of the screen) and thus is unable to distinguish between a "v" and a "n".

 
At Wed Jul 04, 02:22:00 PM, Blogger Wayne Leman said...

Try here for pronunciation of "Iyov."

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home