Better Bibles Blog has moved. Read our last post, below, and then
click here if you are not redirected to our new location within 60 seconds.
Please Bookmark our new location and update blogrolls.

Saturday, April 05, 2008

Hen Scratches April 5, 2008

My posts here are really just one voice in a conversation. Other posts to read in connection with Psalm 91 are those of Iyov, El Shaddai here and here, and on Psalm 51 Bob. Here is another post of mine on Psalm 91.

Other voices in frequent conversation here are those of Dave, Peter, Kurk, John, Kevin, Mike and many more.

One of the things that I really want to do is talk about how I see the Bible functioning in the lives of people I interact with in real life. Most of these people are women, so yes, gender in translation is an ongoing concern for me.

I have to temper my former warm words about the Good News Bible. Just the other day my daughter read to me from her old Good News Bible, and she wanted to know what it meant that the "the husband is supreme over his wife?" My daughter has asked me to write about these things, so I am still collecting evidence on my other blog.

I gave my daughter the polkadot blue TNIV last year.

For myself, I am enjoying my class on the Psalms and am currently reading "Take hold of the Robe of a Jew" by Deborah Goodwin on Herbert of Bosham's Christian Hebraism. Herbert, 12th century, was the first one to write a commentary on Jerome's translation of the Psalms from the Hebrew rather than from the Greek.

The Psalms have always occupied a central place in the liturgy of the church. They belong more to oral culture than to literate culture. As such the Old Latin Psalms never lost their pride of place in the church. And so it was not until the 12th century that attention was given to the translation of the Psalms which Jerome had made from the Hebrew.

In the same way, you can see now that the Book of Alternative Services for the Anglican Church of Canada includes Psalm 23 in the KJV. People do not easily accept change in a text which has entered oral culture.

Most of the time I let conversations on innerrancy of scripture, one way or the other, go right over my head, but this is not to be missed! Read the full post here and follow up post here. The concrete details of how Pharoah's daughter named Moses are at stake. This makes more sense to me than the usual abstract theorizing. Enjoy.

4 Comments:

At Wed Apr 09, 05:06:00 AM, Blogger Peter Kirk said...

Interesting about the Canadian Anglican psalms. Here in England the official Prayer Book psalms have never been KJV, they were from Coverdale in 1662 and jumped to modern versions in Common Worship. Are you sure the Canadian version is KJV and not Coverdale?

Here is Psalm 23 as now officially read in the Church of England (with Coverdale as a permitted alternative):

1 The Lord is my shepherd; • therefore can I lack nothing.

2 He makes me lie down in green pastures • and leads me beside still waters.

3 He shall refresh my soul • and guide me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.

4 Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; • for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.

5 You spread a table before me in the presence of those who trouble me; • you have anointed my head with oil
and my cup shall be full.

6 Surely goodness and loving mercy shall follow me all the days of my life, • and I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever.

PS Your link to my blog is wrong.

 
At Thu Apr 10, 08:02:00 AM, Blogger Tim Chesterton said...

Hi Suzanne - I'm just wondering where in the BAS the KJV of Psalm 23 appears? I've been using the BAS daily since 1985 and I've never come across it.

Tim

 
At Thu Apr 10, 11:27:00 AM, Blogger Suzanne McCarthy said...

Thanks let me check on this. It was hearsay. Someone told me this but it appears that I misunderstood.

 
At Fri Apr 11, 05:17:00 PM, Blogger Suzanne McCarthy said...

I looked for the BAS today in the library and couldn't find it but I was assured by a fellow theology student that the BAS contains the NRSV and KJV of Ps. 23. I will keep looking for this.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home