Better Bibles Blog has moved. Read our last post, below, and then
click here if you are not redirected to our new location within 60 seconds.
Please Bookmark our new location and update blogrolls.

Monday, May 12, 2008

The colour of sin

Spurgeon on Psalm 51. As a follow up to Bright as Snow

4 That thou mightest be justified when thou speakest, and be clear when thou judgest.

    As much as to say, "I make this confession of sin, which is so black, that if thou shouldest judge me, however severely, or sentence me to however exemplary a punishment, thou wilt be quite clear and quite just. I could put in no plea against whatever thou shouldest command. I richly deserve all thy wrath can bring upon me."
5. Behold, I was shapen in iniquity; and in sin, did my mother conceive me.

    The black stream leads him to look at the black fountain. How can we expect from parents who have sinned that there should be born unto them pure and spotless children. No! the tendencies in us all towards evil are there at the very first. He does not at all venture to excuse himself, but rather to aggravate his sin, that he had been a sinner from his very birth.
7. Wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow.

    Yet what can be whiter than snow? Snow is not like a whited wall that is but white on the surface: it is white all through. And yet when God washes the believer, he makes him whiter than snow, for the snow soon becomes tainted, soon loses its purity; but we never shall if God shall wash us. There was no provision made for the cleansing of an adulterer under the law. David, therefore, had to look beyond all the sacrifices of the law to the cleansing power of the great coming sacrifice, and he so believed in it that with a brave faith--(I know no more brave expression in all Scripture than this)--he says, "Wash me, filthy as I am, and I shall be whiter than snow."
A few questions.

1. What colour does Spurgeon teach that sin is?
2. What colour is sin in the Bible?

I have a ton of questions about what is, and what is not "PC" or "unPC" (which is the new "PC" BTW) so just come along and comment.

4 Comments:

At Mon May 12, 09:31:00 PM, Blogger David Ker said...

"The black stream leads him to look at the black fountain."
What a great line.

 
At Mon May 12, 11:06:00 PM, Blogger Suzanne McCarthy said...

It's interesting that his commentary on the Psalms does not mention any of this. It has a little less hyperbole.

 
At Wed May 14, 12:07:00 PM, Blogger Daniel Goepfrich said...

According to Isaiah 1:18, sin is referenced as scarlet and crimson.

 
At Fri May 16, 10:20:00 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Then again, the sinners in the Psalms do their bad things in darkness. It may not be black, but sin is surely connected with darkness.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home