Better Bibles Blog has moved. Read our last post, below, and then
click here if you are not redirected to our new location within 60 seconds.
Please Bookmark our new location and update blogrolls.

Thursday, June 23, 2005

Phrasal verbs, again

I didn't do the greatest job relating phrasal verbs to some Bible translation wordings in my previous posts. I just stumbled across a blog that has a section devoted to phrasal verbs, with lots of examples. Click on the title to this post if you are interested in reading more about this interesting subclass of English verbs.

It would be fun someday (maybe during my retirement, when I'll have all the time in the world to devote to chasing words--oh?!!) to list all phrasal verbs used in English Bible versions. For that matter, it would be fun to see several doctoral dissertations written on the linguistics of English usage in English Bible versions.

Over the years I have noticed some different English rules used in many English versions from the English normally used by good English writers and speakers, including those who translated those versions. Maybe I will blog on these linguistic differences someday.

Categories: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home