Better Bibles Blog has moved. Read our last post, below, and then
click here if you are not redirected to our new location within 60 seconds.
Please Bookmark our new location and update blogrolls.

Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Interview with Jim Packer

I notice that Jeremy Pierce has commented on Jim Packer's quote on the TNIV here. When Packer's name was first mentioned in this respect last month, I was somewhat surprised since I had no intention of bringing personalities into this discussion. However, I have been taught and influenced by some of the translators of the TNIV so naturally I did want to understand whether the criticism of the TNIV was valid or not, by ESV standards. I made an extremely minor attempt to evaluate whether the ESV used 'the same English word for important recurring words in the original'. It was by no means a statistical analysis. It was simply an attempt to frame some questions in my mind.
However, Dr. Packer has been quoted on this topic, and I have also been quoted. With that in mind it seemed like the most natural thing for me to talk to Dr. Packer personally, since we attend the same church. He has kindly agreed to be interviewed for this blog towards the end of January.
I would like to collect a list of questions, which I hope can be grouped or generalized into about 10 questions or less. If you have a question, or would like to suggest wording for a question, please respond in the comment section of this post. Thanks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home