Better Bibles Blog has moved. Read our last post, below, and then
click here if you are not redirected to our new location within 60 seconds.
Please Bookmark our new location and update blogrolls.

Monday, June 04, 2007

processing Psalm 46:10

Last night we processed Psalm 46 in our church growth group. It was a good study and we all found ways in which we could find comfort and areas for growth in this fine psalm. Most of those in our group used a Bible version which had a traditional wording for the first part of Ps. 46:10:
Be still, and know that I am God.
I memorized it when I was young and still appreciate its wording. But I was especially struck by the wording in the CEV and I read it to our group:
Our God says, "Calm down, and learn that I am God!
I like this wording. It helps me to think of the two commands as processes rather than single cognitive events.

"Calm down" speaks clearly to me. I'm a frenetic person, working and thinking more than I need to. It is difficult for me to relax, but God tells me to "calm down." He knows that is good for me.

And the CEV wording also helps me realize that the fact that God is God is not simply something for me to know, but something that I can learn. Learning is a process. God understands, I think, that we often don't understand or know things right away. It takes time to learn them.

I'm in process and I like to learn that God accepts our being in process.

4 Comments:

At Mon Jun 04, 04:53:00 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I'm new here.
Fascinating discussion.
Do you have any threads dealing with postmodern translation issues?

Collin
http://evangelicalperspective.blogspot.com
http://evangelicalinteraction.blogspot.com
http://philosophyforchristians.blogspot.com

 
At Mon Jun 04, 06:02:00 PM, Blogger Wayne said...

I believe the context of Ps. 46.10 would indicate that 'being still' refers to the noise of war. (i.e., 'stop the noise of war')

 
At Mon Jun 04, 08:06:00 PM, Blogger Wayne Leman said...

Do you have any threads dealing with postmodern translation issues?

Only tangentially in that we have sometimes addressed authorial intent.

What are some postmodern translation issues that you would like to see discussed?

 
At Mon Jun 04, 08:08:00 PM, Blogger Wayne Leman said...

I believe the context of Ps. 46.10 would indicate that 'being still' refers to the noise of war. (i.e., 'stop the noise of war')

Yes, you are right. At least one English translation makes that contextual meaning clear:

TEV (GNT): “Stop fighting,” he says, “and know that I am God,

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home